*the 9th issue submission period for writing has closed as of march 31, 2021. any such submissions received outside a submission period will be deleted. however, art submissions always welcome on a rolling basis*
indicia seeks previously unpublished works of poetry, fiction, flash fiction, and visual art for a biannual collection of passionate and talented artists and writers. more specifically, send us your unwilted words and images that pulse with insight, sparks of openness, technical know-how, and above all, a sense of play.
more on what we look for can be found in our interview at Six Questions For…
indicia makes all publication decisions during spring and fall, and issues shortly follow those decisions.
due to the small unpaid staff limitation, please limit emails about submission status. we all work diligently in other professions, so making sure the issue is perfected takes an immense amount of time. that said, if your work has been accepted, we will let you know at the end of our voting sessions, which are after the reading period ends. typically, we alert acceptances before alerting pieces we will be passing on.
indicia will only accept submissions that follow these guidelines.
- Times New Roman, 12 pt. please remove your name or indications of personal identity from the document itself, as submissions will be blindly evaluated.
- send as .doc and .docx, but if pieces’ formats will likely be compromised, send backup .pdf for reference. attach as a document, DO NOT paste into email. no more than 1 piece per page (i.e., don’t squish 3 short poems on a page).
- single authors may contribute to 2 genres: for example, send some Art and some Poems.
- very important: please only send one submission for your genre per submission period. If you send another submission after the fact, we will work under the assumption that the previous submission is no longer available.
- indicia cannot pay contributors for their work, but a .pdf copy of their issue will be provided at no cost.
indicia will review your submissions and questions sent to
with the subject line “Poetry,” “Flash,” “Prose,” or “Art” + “Submission”
please adhere to our submission guidelines as closely as possible. considering the immense amount of submissions we receive for each issue, any deviation from these guidelines can and will be cause for an automatic rejection.
send between 1-6 poems, single-spaced, not to exceed 10 pages total. white space formatting? no problem.
send up to 3 stories, not to exceed 750 words each. double-spaced. discernible narrative keeps it from being considered a prose poem.
send no more than 2 pieces, not to exceed 6,000 words each. double-spaced. fiction, creative nonfiction, or a critical essay. maybe even a hybrid of the three. please keep in mind, each issue will only feature one prose piece of this length, so the selection process will be especially rigorous and limited. make sure every last word of those 6,000 counts!
send 3-5 high quality image files (.jpg, .png, .gif). art accepted on a rolling basis.
all other questions: